Orange wine -first (and 2nd) attempt

I have had varying success making wine over the years, dandelion was lovely, beetroot tasted like beetroot, but not in a good way. We made wine with shop bought grape juice in Abu Dhabi, with was nice enough, so after I’d made a couple of years supply of marmalade in Jan 16, and still being very enthusiastic about having my own orange grove, I needed to find something else to do to preserve the thousands of oranges on those trees.

I found a recipe on the Jack Keller wine blog, a very valuable source for wine making, which uses the zest of 12 oranges (with dire warnings to remove all pith) and the juice of 24, plus sugar, water, yeast and yeast nutrient, to make 5 litres. I made a double batch ( 10 Ltrs) but didn’t have any yeast nutrient ( have since learned how to make my own). It took about 2 hours to zest and juice those oranges. I put them in my primary fermentation bucket, added my ingredients, stirred like a madwoman, Fermented for a week, racked into a demijohn with airlock for a month, racked again after another month, taste tested at each stage…. and it was vile at every stage!

It tasted like a very strong whisky with an aftertaste of……orange peel! I guess I must have let a bit of pith remain on the zest after all. In any event, I decided to bottle one demijohn full in April 16 and let the other ferment a bit more, finally bottling it in Jan 17. The flavour has improved slightly over time, I get a bottle out now and again when we have guests just to guage their reaction, some friends have found it to be disgusting, while others have quite liked it. I find it goes well with elderflower cordial and soda water as a spritzer. In December 18 we opened the last bottle and it was still horrible.

However, undeterred, we made another 10 litres in March last year, and opened the first bottle last night, it was surprisingly nice! A fruity, dry white wine with just a hint of orange. Unfortunately, I don’t know why this batch turned out better than the last, so just hope I can replicate it this year. The Valencias are nice and ripe now (I’d used navel oranges previously), so fingers crossed🀞🀞

3 thoughts on “Orange wine -first (and 2nd) attempt

  1. Due to unfavourable results from many of my brewing experiments we have gone into the mass production of vinigar, it sells surprisingly well πŸ™‚
    I plan to try dandelion and burdock in the coming weeks, but I will add just a plain dandelion wine on your mention of it. There is always the prospect of putting it through the Alembic if it all goes wrong πŸ™‚
    Hope all is well with you? πŸ™‚

  2. Hi Eddy, all good here. Just like you, we live in the middle of nowhere and little has changed for us during the lockdown, except i’ve brushed up on my breadmaking and the veg garden is going bananas! Good to read your update, glad you and the family are well. I need to get moving on the wine making, been very slack so far this year, although we did crack open a bottle of blackberry and bay mead last night – first time making (and drinking) mead. An unusual but not unpleasant drink. Must update the blog lol, but i’ve lost interest really, and rarely find the time. I’ll keep reading yours though x

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s