Renovations Update

The builders have finished the first stage of the renovations, and that part of the house looks fabulous. The roof is made of locally sourced round pole beams covered with pine planks ( all treated with an Eco-friendly preservative). 5 cm thick cork insulation, waterproof membrane ( neither Eco or local unfortunately, but necessary) and finished with local terracotta tiles.

image image image image

The inside of the house looks dark in this photo, but it’s just a bad photo- it’s light and sunny and look at the lovely ceiling!

The lintels for the window openings came from our land and the windows are reclaimed, stripped and varnished. We are now looking for matching doors, French windows for the living room and bedroom, stable type doors for the kitchen ( which will probably have to be made new).

Tom is pointing the inside walls with a lime mortar this week and then we’ll start on the floors. We’re very fortunate that the house is built on granite bedrock, so no rising damp. I’d like an earthen floor in the bedroom, but they take too long to lay, dry and oil, so we’ll probably go with wood. The kitchen will be laid with flagstones possibly onto a tamped earth floor – we haven’t quite reached agreement on that yet but we have agreed – no concrete!

We then need to ‘fit’ the kitchen and bathroom, and get all this done by end of September as all of our furniture is currently outside!

 

Advertisements

The Renovations Begin!

So, after waiting months for 3 different builders to quote for our renovations, and none of them understanding what we wanted, and quoting a small fortune – we happened across a house in the village being renovated by a local builder (in fact the husband of the local shopkeeper) that looked fantastic, and we could see that he was using natural materials and doing a really thorough job. We asked him to quote for our work, which he did within a week, at a very reasonable price, and today, just 2 weeks later, the work began.

The original roof is off, and the rotten central beams replaced by reclaimed chestnut beams from a local demolition. The window openings have been knocked out, no small feat as the walls are 2 foot thick granite stone, and the lintels are going in.

image

The lintels have been made from the large granite pillars that used to hold up the donkey- driven water wheels on our wells. Tom dug them out of the ground himself, with a little help from Duke

image

Ella, being the lady that she is, preferred to watch from the comfort of the car

image

The Eco-friendly timber preservative that we ordered from the uk arrived today in the nick of time, so Tom will be applying that to the cross beams and wooden sheathing when it gets a bit cooler today, ready for those to be installed next week after the walls have been rebuilt.

So excited to finally be making progress!